School Attendance Zones
Building Consensus to do what is Best for Students
We need your help!
Planning for the future is well under way in Fort Bend ISD! To prepare for the District’s continued growth and the current and future needs of our students, FBISD is partnering with the community to gather input that will be used to develop the District’s new Strategic Plan and Facilities Master Plan. These important documents, expected to be finalized in early 2014, will provide a roadmap for planning the District’s educational programs and facilities improvements in the future. Visit Planning for the Future to learn more.
The Fort Bend ISD Board of Trustees voted on September 9, 2013, to contract with Population and Survey Analysts (PASA) to provide demographic services for the District.
At the August 12 Board Meeting, the Board received an update concerning an RFP for demographic services and a planned timeline for completion of the District’s strategic plan, a facilities master plan, and an elementary school boundary study.
Request for Proposal (RFP) for demographic services
- The District went through the Request for Proposal (RFP) process to secure proposals for finding a district demographer, and the administration will bring a recommendation to the Board as early as September 2013.
- Why is this necessary? Each year, our demographic information projections must be updated for planning purposes. The District needs demographic services to be able to vet the most current demographic information available with that being used in the independent Facility Master Plan Study currently being performed by Jacobs Engineering, as well as developing future demographic information.
Timeline for completion of the District’s strategic plan, a facilities master plan, and an elementary school boundary study
August 12 Timeline Presentation
Fort Bend ISD begins comprehensive study of all elementary school attendance boundaries; postpones construction of elementary #46
Following a decision at the June 10 regular meeting, the Fort Bend ISD Board of Trustees voted to postpone the construction of Fort Bend ISD Elementary School #46 in the Aliana subdivision along the Grand Parkway corridor pending the outcome of a comprehensive study of all FBISD elementary school boundaries. The District will immediately develop and publicly share a timeline for work to include:
- Issuing a Request for Proposal (RFP) for a district demographer for Board approval in a timely manner.
- Preparing scenarios, based on existing demographic data, to demonstrate how the District may be rezoned to more effectively utilize existing elementary schools. These scenarios will be vetted once a contract for a district demographer is approved by the Board.
- Creating and convening a District-wide Elementary School Boundary Study Team to advise the administration on redrawing all elementary boundaries to best utilize existing schools. The work of this group will be shared publicly online and at community forums to gather feedback from stakeholders throughout the District before any recommendations are brought to the Board for consideration. The administration will be providing regular updates to the Board throughout the process. The results of the Educational Adequacy and Building Utilization studies currently in progress will be used as part of the comprehensive study.
- Working with the principals of all schools currently over capacity to develop interim plans to support their operations during this process, and the implementation of the resulting decisions.
- Performing a review and update of FBISD Board Policy and Administrative Procedures that govern the creation and maintenance of school attendance boundaries.
While balancing enrollment and making sure schools are used efficiently is an important challenge, Fort Bend ISD’s highest priority will always be doing what is best for students.
Updates will be posted on the District’s website and shared in the District’s communications.